WHY DOES COFFEE GRIND SIZE MATTER?
Three main elements of coffee grind impact your coffee flavor: extraction rate, contact time, and flow rate.
- Extraction rate of coffee grounds increases with more surface area.
- Increase surface area by grinding coffee finer.
- With a higher extraction rate, less contact time is required.
- Finer grind reduces the flow rate of water, which increases contact time.
Let’s make this easy without too much hassle …
- Brewing methods that use FINE grind sizes:
• Moka pot
- Brewing methods that use MEDIUM grind sizes:
- Brewing methods that use COARSE grind sizes:
• French press
• Cold brew
▶ Grind Size to be “FINE“
▶ Grind Size to be “MEDIUM“
▶ Order your Grind Size to be “COARSE“